SHINE LIKE THE STAR THAT YOU ARE! – AN ENTICING APPLICATION
Found a job that’s right up your street? Great! Now comes the important part – making your application stand out form the crowd.To apply to our positions, all you need is a great CV and it’s pretty likely you’ve got the basics covered (personal details, employment experience, education). But your CV can be much more enticing to make sure it gets noticed!
Here are some helpful tips on how to make your CV stand out:
1. Check out our role profiles – What type of person are we looking for? Do you have the personality and skills it takes? Yes! I hear you cry… Perfect, highlight this on your CV! If we are looking for someone who has leadership skills and you fit the bill, make sure you emphasize this with detail.
2. Take credit where it’s due! Do you go out of your way to undertake duties that aren’t your responsibility, are you extremely reliable or have you dealt with difficult situations? We want to know!
3. Emphasize results rather than responsibilities; tell us your biggest achievements! Exceeded sales targets? Promoted to supervisor from sales assistant in 6 months? Won employee of the month? We want to know what you’re proud of, don’t by shy – sell yourself!
4. Less is more in terms of the look and content; don’t over-crowd your CV! It is essential that your CV is easy to read and the important bits stand out. Unclutter your CV by separating it into sections and avoiding using long paragraphs. Also, use bullet points to break text up into bite-size chunks, use a professional font and consistent text size. You may be the creative type but don’t be tempted to add in colours or fancy fonts. Keep it simple, structured and to the point.
5. Consider writing a cover letter. This isn’t essential and if you don’t do it, that won’t go against you. But we do receive CVs by the bucket load, so when someone applies with a covering letter to support their CV it helps to grab our interest! It shows us that you have taken the time to understand who we are, why you want to be part of our journey and want you would bring to our business.
YOU’RE AMAZING…SELL YOURSELF!
Application successful….. great news! Interviewing is the next step in our selection process and this is where it gets exciting! It gives us the chance to get to know you and you the chance to know us. It can be daunting at the best of times, but it’s important you take this opportunity to sell yourself.
Selling yourself is all about convincing us that you are exactly what we’re looking for. Most people do find it a little uncomfortable to boast about themselves, but at interview you need to make the most of the air time! Just make sure you do it in the right way… Focus on facts – your skills, experience and achievements that are relevant to the role. Show enthusiasm – we love nothing more than someone who is eager about being part of our team.
And importantly, keep in mind that it’s not just about your experience – no matter which role we’re looking to fill, we need people who have drive, enthusiasm and passion so make sure you show this side of you.
But let’s just be clear, selling yourself shouldn’t be a performance, we’re not looking for actors! It has to be genuine and come from the heart if you truly are the right fit for us.